PROGRAM OF EVENTS
The Eastern Mediterranean Musical Heritage:
Fresh thoughts on the sounds of tradition
F r i d a y 1 0 J u n e 2 0 0 5
19:30 Official Opening
Welcoming address by Rafael DOCHAO MORENO, European Commission, Chief Administrator Barcelona Process.
Welcoming address on behalf of the MediMuses partners by Dr. Ratiba El Hefny, Director of the El Hefny Music Centre.
Brief Review by Mr Kyriakos Kalaitzides, Artistic Director of the MediMuses project
Opening of the Forum Works by General Secretary of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture Mr Christos Zaxopoulos
20:00 Concert of the Musical Ensemble EN CHORDAIS
Kyriakos Petras: violin
Kyriakos Kalaitzides: oud
Drossos Koutsokostas: singing
Alkis Zopoglou: qanun
Vaggelis Karipis: darbuka, davul
Dimitris Mistakidis: lute
Nikos Terpsiades: bedir, idiophono
Vassilis Tzortzinis: contrabass
S a t u r d a y 11 J u n e 2 0 0 5
10:00 First Session
Subject: The perception of Eastern Mediterranean Classical Traditions in the Western Media
The labels commonly used by the music media and distribution channels have tended either to approach the music of the Mediterranean from a regional perspective or else have focused on the “fusion” and “world music” dimensions of these traditions. Is a new look at Eastern Mediterranean Classical Traditions on the cards and if so, what form could it take?
· Alain Weber, Artistic Director of the “Cite de la Musique – Paris” : “Classical Eastern Mediterranean Music – a little known neighboring tradition ? ”
· Samy Khashaba, Editor-in-Chief of Al Ahram Weekly - Cairo: “The need for greater extroversion of Arab cultural operators.”
· Ruth Jacobi, Executive Director European Music Council, Bonn "The Importance of non-Western musical traditions in the awareness of the Western European Public."
· Fady Matar, Programme Coordinator Radio Monte Carlo, Moyen Orient, Beirut: “The Oriental and Arab music in the French Society.”
· Lambros Liavas, Professor of the Musical Department, University of Athens: Coordinator.
12:00 Second Session
Subject: Mediterranean Music in the Educational System – Challenges and Perspectives
The MediMuses project is possibly the first collective and ecumenical attempt to formulate a history and theory of Eastern Mediterranean Musical Traditions. How could the results of the project affect the teaching of this tradition both in its “natural” environment and in western societies?
· Nikos Sifounakis, President of the Committee for Education, and Culture of the European Parliament: “Cultural Education – challenge for a multicultural Europe” (he has been invited).
· Christos Zaxopoulos, General Secretary of the Ministry of Culture: “National Strategy (or political) for musical heritage” (he has been invited).
· Kamran Ince, Director of ÌÉÁÌ (Centre for advanced musical studies), Istanbul University: "Musical Education as an element of cohesion in Euromediterranean cooperation".
· Walter Feldman, University Bar-Ilan, Jerusalem: “The history of tropical learned musical traditions of the Mediterranean as course in the Higher Education Institutions and in the superior musical faculties”.
· Êifah Fakhouri, Director of National Music Conservatory of Jordan, General Secretary of the Music Council UNESCO, Amman: coordinator.
18:00 Presentation of MediMuses’ publications
Volumes for the theory and history of music in the Mediterranean:
· Mahmoud Guettat, professor, University of Tunis
Compact Disc Series «Great Composers of the Mediterranean»:
· Charbel Rouhana, Supervisor of Oud department, The Lebanese National Higher Conservatory, Beirut, coordinator of Sayyed Darwish compact disc.
· Hossein Omoumi, Paris, coordinator of AbdolHasan Saba compact disc.
Compact Disc Series «Great Mediterranean Masters»:
· Yelda Ozgen, Istanbul, coordinator of Ihsan Ozgen compact disc
· Sokrates Sinopoulos – Ilias Barounis, Athens, coordinator of Lambros Leontaridis compact disc.
Corpus Series «Great Composers of the Mediterranean»:
· Vassilis Tzortzinis, Athens, coordinator of Tatyos Efendi corpus.
· Ghada Shbeir, Beirut, coordinator of Sayyed Darwish corpus.
Christos Carras, Project Manager of MediMuses project, Thessaloniki, coordinator.
Mr.Samir Siblini, Mr. Ihsan Ozgen, Mr Dariush Talai and Mr Misirli Ahmet, to whom 4 compact discs of the series «Great Mediterranean Masters» are dedicated, shall also be present.
21:00 Concert of Musical Ensembles
Bezmara (Istanbul) – Beirut Oriental Ensemble (Beirut)
Musical Ensemble Bezmara
Coordinator: Fikret Karakaya
Fikret Karakaya: kemence, cine keman
Ahmed Sahin: ney
Kemal Caba: violon
Furkan Resuloglu: tambour
Mehmet Kemiksiz: singing
Ersin Celik: singing
Didem Basar santur
Kamil Bilgin daire kundum
Beirut Oriental Ensemble
Coordinator: Charbel Rouhana
Ghada Shbeir: singing
Rima Khseish: singing
Samir Siblini: ney
Charbel Rouhana: oud
Imane Homsy: qanun
Ali Ål Khatib: rek
S u n d a y 12 J u n e 2 0 0 5
10:00 Third Session
Subject: Mediterranean Modal Music – Directions for research and practice after MediMuses
In its 42 months duration, the MediMuses project offered the opportunity to all those who are systematically involved with the music of the Eastern Mediterranean to broaden the horizons of their knowledge, to gain valuable experiences and to come into contact with a wealth of related traditions. It fostered scientific discussion, revealed artistic trends and research and contributed decisively to the study of Theory, History, Instruments and Repertoire, laying the ground for a new revival of Mediterranean Music.
How can this effort be pursued in the future and what should the focus of a new project such as MediMuses be?
· Suleyman Erguner, Director of Musical Department of the Turkish Radio Television, Ankara
· Kamel Ferjani, Oud professor, Institut Supérieur de Musique, Tunis
· Kiya Tabassian, Director of the Musical Department, Mahriz House, Tehran
· Imane Homsy, Supervisor of the qanun Department, The Lebanese National Higher Conservatory, Beirut
· Thomas Apostolopoulos, scientific associate En Chordais, Thessaloniki, coordinator
12:00-12:30 Presentation of the future Medimuses Collaboration Network
Perspectives of expanding the MediMuses network: future action and institutional development.
21:00 Concert of Musical Ensembles
Persian Tradition (Tehran and Esfahan) – Takht Musical de Tunis
Hossein Omoumi: ney
Kiya Tabassian: setar
Ziya Tabassian: toubek
Takht Musical de Tunis
Coordinator: Kamel Ferjani
Kamel Ferjani: oud
Dorsaf Hemdani: singing
Slim Jaziri: qanun
Nabil Abdelmoulah: ney
Saifallah Ben Abderrazak: violin
Ridha Belgaied: darbuka
Lassaad Laadhari: rek